COMS has been established as a not-for-profit, community run organisation and as such, has adopted the structure of an incorporated association. The number of members continues to increase as the individuals and organisations who have expressed interest in supporting the concept formally join the association.
COMS MANAGEMENT COMMITTEE
COMS / Hull Shape Shipwrights
Surfing Far North Coast
Brunswick Heads Chamber of Commerce
Licensee of Brunswick Heads Hotel
Commodore Brunswick Cruising Yacht Club
Brunswick Surf Life Saving Club
CEO Arakwal Organisation
Byron Shire Council
Representative from Crown Land
To be appointed
All future members of COMS will be included in the management committee
(L-R) Phillip Walters - College of Marine Studies Inc; Paul Begg - Brunswick Heads Chamber of Commerce; Michel Boyle - Economic Development Officer Byron Shire Council; Trevor Wilson - Business Development Manager, NSW Department of State and Regional Development; David Butcher - Training Coordinator, North Coast State Training Services, NSW Department of Education and Training; (absent) Pieter Verasdonck - Community Economic Development Manager, NSW Department of State and Regional Development
The EXECUTIVE COMMITTEE of the association consists of the following people:
• Phillip Walters - Chairman: Philip is a Master Shipwright with more than 30 years experience in the marine industry and has designed, built and repaired vessels from dinghies to 100 ft ocean going craft in timber, aluminium and composites. He has managed a staff of up to six tradesmen and has trained 7 apprentices over a 12 year period, one of whom was the NSW Apprentice of the Year
• Marcus Cranney – Committee Member: Marcus is a Master Shipwright who was trained at the Australian National Maritime Museum in Sydney. He has worked on a number of restorations and replicas of tall ships and other timber boats in Australia, the UK and the USA. His projects have included the James Craig, the Soren Larson and the Endeavour.
• Steve Foreman – Committee Member: Steve has been involved in coaching in the Northern Rivers area for 30 years and has worked as a Teacher’s Aide for the NSW Education Department. He has coached and mentored world surfing champions including Pauline Menczer and Layne Beachley and is Regional Director for Surfing on the Far North Coast.
• Mark Stewart – Committee Member: Mark has operated a successful fishing charter business from Brunswick Heads since 1999. He holds a current NSW Coxswains Certificate, Byron Shire Marine Park Charter Vessel Licence and Bar Endorsement for Brunswick Heads. Mark is also an experienced photographer and journalist
• Donna Hammond – Secretary/Treasurer: Donna has worked in a variety of sales and administration roles over a long career. She was secretary of the Ocean Shores Community Association before becoming involved with COMS.
CHIEF EXECUTIVE OFFICER
Ross Murray - Ross has a great affinity with the Brunswick region, having shifted here prior to commencing primary school.
Ross is again living in Brunswick, having constructed a beautiful home in Fingal Street just two years ago. It's a rewarding experience to come back to a town that is vibrant and community orientated yet one which still retains it's beach side charm.
Ross has an extensive background in community banking, having been the CEO of Summerland Credit Union during it's emergence as a strong regional entity. The credit union's role as a peoples bank allowed Ross to assist families and individuals that would possibly not have been recognised by the more traditional banking sector.
Ross is a family man, and is very much an outdoors person, involved in cycling, kayaking, swimming and sailing.
Ross is thrilled with his appointment as CEO of the College of Marine Studies and looks forward to giving some thing back to the community in assisting this organisation go forward to the benefit of the local community.